National Pet Day is a day to celebrate the joy that pets bring into people’s lives and encourages people to help reduce the number of animals in shelters. It is an opportunity to give a little extra love and pampering to your pet or to adopt a pet if you can. Pets are some of the best companions people can have, and they can make each day just a little bit better.
However, for the animals who don’t have homes, many people don’t realize the benefits of adopting a pet. Even old animals can become some of the greatest gifts in life.
National Pet Day may as well take place every day for most pet owners. After all, we all recognize the love and joy that animals bring to our lives, and we make sure to let our pets know how much they mean to use.
How to Celebrate National Pet Day
There are lots of different activities you can enjoy on National Pet Day with your furry friend! Here are some ideas:
- Adopt a pet from a local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and help take care of the animals.
- Donate blankets, food, and toys if you can’t afford an animal.
- Spend time with your pet by taking pictures of them, buy them new toys, give them treats, and give them the love that they always give back.
- Try to teach your pet some new tricks and reward them for their efforts.
- Create a social media account for your pet on National Pet Day.
- Spend some time learning a bit more about pets and the role they have played in history.
History of National Pet Day
National Pet Day began in 2006 when Animal Welfare Advocate Colleen Page decided she wanted to celebrate the joy that pets bring into people’s lives. As a Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert, she wanted to celebrate all pets.
Advocating for the adoption of pets from animal shelters, she brainstormed the holiday to create public awareness for the animals awaiting homes in shelters. According to the ASPCA, approximately 6.5 million animals enter animal shelters every year.
The number of animals entering shelters has been significantly decreasing over the years. But there’s still a significant number of animals entering and being euthanized due to shelter capacity and lack of awareness.
Page hopes that these numbers can continue to decrease with the celebration of National Pet Day. Encouraging adoption as a first choice is one of the main ideas behind National Pet Day.
National Pet Day Timeline
- 30,000 BC: Animals become domesticated
- 3100 BC: Ancient Egyptians keep dogs as pets
- 3000 BC: Ancient Egyptians keep cats indoors
- 1869: First animal shelter founded in the US
- 2006: First National Pet Day is celebrated
National Pet Day FAQs
- When is National Pet Day? It occurs every year on April 11.
- Are pets good for kids? Pets teach responsibility, compassion, gentleness, and trust.
- What is National Pet Day? It is a day to appreciate and enjoy the pets that bring families so much joy and love, as well as to consider what can be done to help abandoned or at-risk pets.
- What pets are easy to take care of? Turtles, tortoises, hamsters, and fish are lower-maintenance pets that are beloved.
- Is pet ownership increasing? Yes, the populations of dogs and cats in homes are both on the rise, although most households with pets don’t have as many on average as they used to.
Happy National Pet Day!