Deception is ubiquitous, whether it be through direct lies or omissions, and it can be incredibly exhausting. National Honesty Day is a day to take a break from the dishonesty and practice radical honesty. This day encourages people from all walks of life, particularly those in positions of power, to try being honest with their constituents and customers.
The day was created by M. Hirsh Goldberg, former press secretary of Maryland, in the 1990s while writing his book, “The Book of Lies: Fibs, Tales, Schemes, Scams, Fakes, and Frauds That Have Changed the Course of History and Affect Our Daily Lives.” The concept of the day is simple: to ask direct questions without ulterior motives and receive answers of brutal honesty. While this can create difficult relations between people, it is the first step in healing relational wounds and creating clear communication that allows for proper understanding.
It is important to remember that being honest requires honesty with oneself first. Once a person accepts their true feelings and motivations, they can speak with others with complete forthrightness.
As April begins with April Fool’s Day, where dishonesty reigns supreme, the end of the month brings the opportunity to redeem those white lies and enjoy National Honesty Day.
History of National Honesty Day
- 1500s: April Fool’s Day tradition begins
- 1861: “Honest Abe” becomes US President
- 1972: Watergate Scandal is uncovered
- 1990s: First National Honesty Day takes place
- 2012: The Honest Company is founded
How to Celebrate National Honesty Day
- Listen to Songs About Honesty
- Honesty by Billy Joel (1978)
- Truth and Honesty by Aretha Franklin (1981)
- Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon (1971)
- Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode (1990)
- Practice Being Honest
- Be honest with yourself and others, even if it is difficult.
- Learn More About the Benefits of Honesty
- Honesty is healthy.
- Honesty leads to better relationships.
- Honesty is simple.
- Watch Films About Honesty
- Honesty Weekend (2020)
- Lincoln (2012)
- Jerry Maguire (1996)
- Nanny McPhee (2005)
National Honesty Day FAQs
- What is National Honesty Day?
- National Honesty Day is a day to encourage honest and straightforward communication in politics, relationships, commercial marketing, and historical education.
- When is National Honesty Day?
- National Honesty Day takes place on April 30th each year.
- How to celebrate National Honesty Day?
- Celebrate National Honesty Day by telling the truth with direct and honest communication.
- Why is honesty important?
- Honesty is vital for building trust, avoiding problems, and even avoiding fraud and legal troubles.
National Honesty Day is the time to lift the burdens from your shoulders and share your truth!